Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content An Official Website of the Commonwealth of Kentucky

Energy and Environment Cabinet

Photo Provided by Shutterstock

Division for Air Quality

Information about Freon, certification and training

This federal program is administered by the U.S. EPA’s Stratospheric Protection Division. They have responsibility for all reported illegal use and abuse of Freon products.  Additionally, they manage certification of training programs and issuing licenses.  To address questions or to report concerns or suspected violations, contact them through the following website:

Technicians installing or performing repairs on any HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) equipment MUST be state licensed by the Division of Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC).  Call 502-573-0395 for more information or visit the division's website. If you know someone is abusing Freon restrictions and want to file a complaint, you may do so here.

EPA's Stationary Refrigeration and Air Conditioning page provides resources and answers to the following topics:

  • Training programs for motor vehicle certification (Section 609)

  • Freon Certification Card Replacement

  • Fact sheets for technicians for motor vehicles (Section 609)

  • Questions and answers for consumers on motor vehicle air conditioning

  • Recharging your car's air conditioner with refrigerant

  • Training programs for stationary refrigeration and air conditioning certification (Section 608)

  • Fact sheets for stationary units (Section 608)

  • Overview of issues covered in the U.S. EPA certification test under Section 608