The Division for Air Quality is the state agency primarily responsible for enforcing the state and federal air quality standards in the Commonwealth of Kentucky with the goal of protecting public health and welfare. To achieve that goal, the division operates a multi-faceted program with staff performing separate but interrelated tasks. The Division for Air Quality is organized into the following sections:
Sean Alteri, Director
Melissa Duff, Assistant Director
Roberta Burnes, Environmental Education/Public Information
Field Operations Branch
Jarrod Bell, Manager
Shelly Graves, Administrative Specialist III
Jonathan Barker, Environmental Scientist IV
Jennifer Spradlin, Environmental Control Supervisor
Diana Davidson, Complaints Coordinator
George Hoover, Administrative Specialist III
- Inspect air emission sources.
- Operate air quality monitors.
- Enforce state and federal air quality regulations.
- Initiate enforcement action against violators of air quality regulations.
- Receive and investigate air quality complaints.
- Maintain and update department records concerning citizen complaints, release reporting and emergency response.
- Provide technical assistance and training to the regulated community and the general public.
- Inspect asbestos removals and schools' asbestos-management practices.
- Certify asbestos-abatement professionals.
- Review schools' asbestos management plans.
- Certify that tank trucks do not leak.
NOTE: The air quality program for Jefferson County is administered by the Louisville Metro Air Pollution Control District, 701 W. Ormsby Ave., Suite 303, Louisville, KY 40203, telephone: 502-574-6000 and FAX: 502-574-5306.
Permit Review Branch
- Review applications from sources requiring permits to discharge pollutants into the ambient air in Kentucky.
- Assists companies subject to state and/or federal air quality regulations by providing guidance during pre-application meetings. Issues permits that include all significant emission points and specify conditions under which a company may operate. For major sources, a 30-day public comment period is provided on draft permit determinations.
Technical Services Branch
, Quality Assurance Section
- Plan, support operation of the air monitoring network, maintain data acquisition network.
- Observe and evaluate tests performed on air pollution sources to determine compliance with air emission standards.
- Conduct quality assurance programs for ambient and in-stack continuous emission monitoring systems.
- Prepare and issue the Kentucky Ambient Air Quality Annual Report. Oversee the Air Quality Index.
Program Planning and Administration Branch
, Environmental Scientist V
, Administration Section
- Prepare the State Implementation Plan to achieve and maintain national and state air quality standards.
- Draft and process air pollution control regulations.
- Monitor progress toward achieving the division's objectives.
- Measure trends in the reduction of emissions and improvement in air quality.
- Prepare and monitor the division's air quality management plan.
- Evaluate division programs and recommend necessary improvements.
- Prepare and monitor federal grants and division budgets.
- Coordinate administrative functions for the division.
- Prepare and issue emissions inventory reports.